58810Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Dog collars in period

  • Dianne Stucki
    Jul 20, 2011
       They always seem to have had utilitarian value as
      well. Hunting, herding, protection, sport, warmth, medicinal value,
      whatever. Not just "because we like them."

      Please note that I'm not trying to say the modern attitude about pets
      is somehow wrong, just that it's different from the medieval attitude
      as far as I can see.
      Auf wiedersehen!
      OTOH--my Sheltie-spaniel mix may not strike fear into the heart of any burglar. But I KNOW she would let me know if anyone tried to get into my house without my knowledge or permission, and I have slept much better at night when my husband is away since we adopted her. And she does have a rather impressive "WOOF!" when someone comes to the door.
      If I let you in, however, she might just lick you to death.