58555Re: [Authentic_SCA] Staining bone brown

  • Michael Hurley
    Apr 7, 2011
      On Apr 7, 2011, at 9:40 AM, groomporter wrote:
      > When mixed with pure glycerol or other simple alcohols it will
      > result in a violent combustion reaction.

      Very neat tip. Thanks! And I can personally attest to the above
      warning about potassium permanganate. It's a really cool way to start
      a fire without anyone near it. Old boy-scout trick, in fact. When
      laying the fire, you put a small can (tuna/cat food, whatever) with
      some house-hold glycerin in it in the base of the fire and make sure
      the fire is well coated with lighter fluid. When ready, you solemnly
      march to the fire, pray some gibberish over it while waving your hands
      around and surreptitiously pour the potassium permanganate crystals
      you had up your sleeve into the fire and walk away. After a little
      while (oxygen is also needed in the reaction, so the depth of the can,
      amount of stuff around the opening and amount of wind will affect
      this), the fire will burst into flame seemingly entirely on it's own!
      It definitely takes a bit of practice to do safely, but works a treat
      when done properly. Scares the crap out of the little kids, too! :D
      --
      Auf wiedersehen!
      Michael

      "..No."