58529Re: Patching garments?

  • LJonthebay
    Oct 28, 2010
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, CLEY <cley56@...> wrote:

      > Isn't there a story that Francis wished his robe to be made of patches,
      > as a token of humility?
      >
      > Or am I confused with someone else?

      Buddhist priests wear a patchwork mantle called a kesa (Japanese), jiasha (Chinese) or kasaya (Sanskrit). Originally pieced from dirty rags, they eventually became far more opulent as donors gifted temples with silks belonging to deceased relatives. At least one description I've read seems to indicate that the act of constructing a kesa from many small pieces was considered a devotional exercise.

      Ironically, when I started looking for images to post, I discovered that the Kyoto National Museum currently has an exhibition on kesa:
      http://www.kyohaku.go.jp/eng/tokubetsu/101009/tokubetsu.html
      If you scroll down, the kesa shown at the bottom of the article is pieced from silk and gold brocade.

      (Pieced garments also became fashionable in 16th century Japan. A number of surviving robes from that period are either pieced or decorated to look as if they are pieced from alternating blocks of fabric. There's also at least one example that bears an uncanny resemblance to a "crazy quilt.")

      Saionji no Hana
      West Kingdom
    • Show all 17 messages in this topic