58526Re: Patching garments?

  • xina007eu
    Oct 28, 2010
      Hi Asfridhr,

      the tunic of St Francis of Assisi that can be seen in the basilica at Assisi has been patched multiple times, and I think different stitches were used. I remember reading that some of the pieces seem to have come from the tunic of St Clare, and that these patches are sewn on with a special stitch, but I can't find the reference at the moment.

      With a multiple-layer garment (e.g. an Elizabethan doublet) you will only have to stitch the patch on the outside if the inner layers are intact. The doublet of Don Garzia de' Medici (a young man from one of the wealthiest families in Europe) has a patch on one elbow, which indicates that patching and repairing garments was not restricted to the lower classes.

      Best regards,

      Christina

      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Quokkaqueen" <quokkaqueen@...> wrote:

      > Hi All,
      >
      > It's reached that stage in my garb wardrobe, where I need to start repairing things, mostly patching holes and tears in seams. I *know* that there are garments out there with patches (the Y-piece on the Bocksten hood springs to mind), but what I'm having trouble is finding information on *how* garments were patched.
      >
      > I'm guessing that patches were sewn to the outside of the garment, but what happened on the inside? Were the edges of the repair hemmed facing inside the garment, or outside towards the patch? Were any special patching stitches used?
      >
      > Any help would be appreciated,
      > ~Asfridhr

    • Show all 17 messages in this topic