58510RE: [Authentic_SCA] Patching garments?

  • Terri Morgan
    Oct 20, 2010
      > I'm guessing that patches were sewn to the
      > outside of the garment, but what happened on
      > the inside? Were the edges of the repair
      > hemmed facing inside the garment, or outside
      > towards the patch? Were any special patching
      > stitches used?
      > Any help would be appreciated,
      ~Asfridhr

      I'd be interested in learning that also. My first response, upon reading
      Asfridhr's speculation was to say, "no, on the inside!" because that is the
      most common method I learned for darning/patching frayed fabric. But what I
      learned is modern... I never once gave a thought to what would have been a
      period practise.

      Hrothny
    • Show all 17 messages in this topic