58476Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Summer Garb

  • Sayyeda Samia al-Kaslaania
    Jul 23, 2010
      On 7/23/2010 10:25 AM, Zhara wrote:
      > Question: does anyone know of any particular significance to the way leering-guy is wearing his stole/scarf? There is some evidence of symbolism in the way clothing is worn in period illustrations (loosened/disheveled turbans are a sign of mourning, floppy sleeves a sign of reckless abandon, etc...)
      >
      > Is a wearing one's scarf in a twisty-wrap a sign of lust?
      >
      > Just Curious,
      > Z.

      Sayyeda Zahra,

      The way it's worn is reminiscent of the way some wraps are worn in the
      Maqamat al-Hariri, and further described by Yedida Stillman in her
      dissertation. I wonder if it's a kind of vestigial garment?

      Sayyeda al-Kaslaania
    • Show all 25 messages in this topic