Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

58467Re: [Authentic_SCA] Summer Garb: Middle Eastern

Expand Messages
  • lilinah@earthlink.net
    Jul 20, 2010
    • 0 Attachment
      Zhara wrote:
      >Please also note that the fuller cut of trousers can appear as:
      >sirwal, sherwal, sirwal, salwar, etc etc etc

      There are significant differences between sirwal and shalvar (not
      specifying one spelling, just using one for simplicity).

      Shalvar was originally Persian. The Arabs adopted them, adopted the
      name, then adapted them, changing the name. In standard Arabic one is
      sirwal, more than one is sarawil. Variations in spelling are partly
      due to pronunciation differences around the Arabic speaking world.

      Sirwal has legs that go straight down, sort of like modern pajamas
      (and that word comes from India).

      Shalvar, worn in the Persian and Ottoman Empires and parts of Central
      Asia, has legs that are wide at the top and narrow as they go down
      the leg, often snug at the ankles.

      Both use gussets in the crotch (and sometimes the inner legs, too)
      for ease of movement, although shaped and inserted differently, and
      drawstring waists.

      >other spelling variations exist for several of the garments (dulban,
      >tulbent, etc).

      And don't forget turban...
      Urtatim [that's err-tah-TEEM]
      the persona formerly known as Anahita
    • Show all 25 messages in this topic