58394Re: Gravitation (WAS Re: [Authentic_SCA] Authentic SCA groups in Mid-Atlantic States)

  • Antonia Calvo
    Jun 9, 2010
      CLEY wrote:
      >> Just remember the line from 13th warrior when you have too many
      >> heralds. Silk Suited messengers, always brings a smile to my face
      >> especially when trying to get something registered or at 8am at a
      >> event. Im trying to design a herald trap for my households encampment.
      >> Something that will keep them from waking us up at oh my god 30.
      > Perhaps you should complain to the autocrat? Or the presiding Nobility
      > of the event?

      Oo, I know, I know! Constructive suggestions made before the next event!

      > Back in the day when I still was able to camp, I also found that
      > offering a voice herald a hot beverage at o-dark-thirty was also very
      > much appreciated.

      We actually radically reduced the amount of voice heraldry at camping
      events. We used to have most scheduled activities announced by
      heralds. There were some real problems with this-- it was hard to get
      enough heralds to do all those announcements, and people tended to
      switch off their brains-- resulting in a slightly shambling schedule and
      complaints from people who didn't get to the activity they wanted
      because the herald "missed" them (or they just weren't paying attention).

      Now now have pocket-sized printed timetables and a bell chimes the hours
      from 8:00am to 8:00pm. Heralds announce Court, any changes to the
      schedule and make any announcements requested, but do *not* announce
      anything that's happening as printed. Combined with an expectation that
      activities will start and finish on time, this has made events run less
      stressfully and more smoothly.

      Antonia di Benedetto Calvo

      Habeo metrum - musicamque,
      hominem meam. Expectat alium quid?