58370Re: Museums in Washington DC

  • Madame du Pont
    May 26, 2010
      MODERATOR NOTE: As a courtesy to our many members who receive their list mail in digest form, we request that you not top post. Thank you.
      Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific Time Zone Moderator.

      MESSAGE ORDER REVERSED:

      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Samia al-Kaslaania <samia@...> wrote:
      > With the SCA in mind, which museums would you recommend in DC?

      Bonjour Sayyeda al-Kaslaania.
      In April I was down in LA for a banquet where my dad was getting inducted into the Motorcycle Hall of Fame for race promotions in the 70o's. It was like a family reunion. While my daughter-in-law was looking for a dress, my two sons and I went to a book store in an old department store. I found a biography on a PAINTING. It was the panel done by Raphael of St. George slaying the Dragon. Now Cia, in the Shire of Briaroak (Roseburg, OR) painted that picture onto a shield, so I got the book with him in mind, knowing I would see him in about a week. So I started reading the book. I had never seen a biography on a painting before. It was well written and the author went to places like where Raphael lived, and who had ownership of the painting throughout the ages. She explained the importance of St. George at the time and the Order of the Garter, etc. Well, I read about half of the book before I gifted it, but had to turn to the last few pages to see where it is now: The National Museum, Room 20, Washington, D.C.

      Please let me know if you actually see it and how you felt about it. Whether you get there or not, I hope you have a wonderful trip.
      With the Smithsonians, there are a lot of different ones,which are fantastic. I have been to 3 of them. Each one takes all day to go through.

      Cheers,
      Madame du Pont
      Shire de Tymberhavene (Home of the An Tir/West War, July 1-5)
      Kingdom d'An Tir

      PS I am doing my second Persona Challenge/Class June 5th at War of the Trees in the Shire of Tymberhavene (Coquille, OR)
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic