58180Re: [Authentic_SCA] ladies' reverance

  • Greg Lindahl
    Feb 11, 2010
      On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 09:26:55AM +0000, Marianne Perdomo wrote:

      > I was hoping someone here would have encountered something in books of
      > manners or such about the matter, than the dance people might have missed...

      Missed? Inconceivable!

      The main etiquette book you could check is Arena, written in 1520. Here's
      his entry in the Rendance Bibliography. I believe the earlier bassadanza
      sources describe the ladies' reverenza as the same as the men. For that
      you should double-check Crane.

      _Arena, Antonius de_.

      Ad Suos Compagniones Studiantes. Avignon: ca.1520.
      Matt Larsen: This is a treatise on the basse dance and dance
      etiquette, written in Latin. It was apparently intended for
      law students at the University of Avignon, who were familiar
      with some dances but not basse dances. Included are 19 basse
      dances, but no music. A large part of the text is devoted to
      telling "middle class" law students what was and was not
      proper on the dance floor. The instructions which are given
      for steps are minimal and, as usual, far from clear. They are
      also difficult to resolve with instructions from other
      manuals and therefore pose an interesting problem to dance
      historians. It has been noted that the choreographies which
      Arbeau gives for bassedances are included in Arena, which
      has lead to speculation that Arbeau may have used Arena as a
      source for a dance which he himself was not completely
      familiar with. He would certainly have had access to Arena,
      since it was reprinted in many editions over a span of more
      than two centuries, with the last reprint being about 1758.
      Nathan Kronenfeld: According to Pierre Chartrand, this is
      currently available and in print as "A ses compagnons
      etudiant"... Antonius Arena, ed. L'Atelier de danse
      populaire, 4 rue Laterale, 94000 Creteil, France (ISBN:
      2-907567-02-0)
      "Rules of Dancing." Dance Research 4, no. 2 (1986): 3-53.
      Translated by John Guthrie and Marino Zorzi.
      Translation of Ad Suos Compagniones Studientes by Antonius de
      Arena.
      Also see entry of original for comments.

      -- Gregory
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic