58037Re: Questions about 12th C artwork

  • Donata Bonacorsi
    Aug 27, 2009
      On Aug 27, 2009, at 6:14 AM, Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      > Complicating this picture, of course, is that before approximately the
      > 15th century, a lot of people were depicted more as idealizations of
      > their roles than as actual "portraits" or what we would consider
      > "likenesses." The characters in a tapestry are usually identified by
      > name labels, for instance, because in most cases there really wasn't
      > an effort made to make King Henry look like the real King Henry (who
      > few people would ever see in person anyway). So the designers/weavers/
      > embroiderers would draw a picture of an Ideal Kingly Person and label
      > it "Henricus."

      Unless you look outside of England.

      The donor portrait in the Arena Chapel by Giotto, it dates to 1305. It
      can be argued that the Renaissance started with Giotto, Dante, and
      Petrach for some in Florence and other city-states in what is now the
      country of Italy. (there are more examples, but Giotto is what came to
      mind)

      Maestra Donata Bonacorsi,
      West