58035Re: [Authentic_SCA] Questions about 12th C artwork

  • Chris Laning
    Aug 26, 2009
      On Aug 24, 2009, at 12:40 PM, Karen Tricomo wrote:

      > Does anyone know if art in the 12th Century EVER looked like an
      > actual person? As in, a life-like attempt at a portrait? Or was it
      > all that blocky, out-of-proportion stuff you see in the stained
      > glass works and tapestries?

      Complicating this picture, of course, is that before approximately the
      15th century, a lot of people were depicted more as idealizations of
      their roles than as actual "portraits" or what we would consider
      "likenesses." The characters in a tapestry are usually identified by
      name labels, for instance, because in most cases there really wasn't
      an effort made to make King Henry look like the real King Henry (who
      few people would ever see in person anyway). So the designers/weavers/
      embroiderers would draw a picture of an Ideal Kingly Person and label
      it "Henricus."

      Looking at portraits of the Kings of England, for instance, the
      earliest ones that look like they were meant to show a true likeness
      might be in the range of Henry IV through VI (1400-1450 or so).

      (Corrections welcome, this is off the top of my head...)