57908Re: Garden gates

  • creatureofironbog
    Jun 1, 2009
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "vombatus1" <timmykane@...> wrote:
      > Just reposting that link, it takes you to the right place now :)
      > >
      > http://www.wga.hu/frames-e.html?/html/c/corneliz/

      In looking at that particular gate, I have to
      wonder: are we certain that there *were* hinges,
      at all? It seems to me that a more rustic fence
      such as this might simply have a (re)moveable panel,
      rather than a 'swinging' gate.

      Not in our Period, but I recall reading in the
      "Little House" books that Mr. Ingalls made leather
      hinges, as they could not afford metal 'boughten'

      Another option - the pivot hinge - can be found here:

      The fashioning and use of hinge pins can be found here
      (scroll down to pages 10-13):

      AND if you are on Facebook, I can point you to a clip
      from the Luttrell Psalter film that briefly shows a
      woven fence that may have what you are seeking.

    • Show all 15 messages in this topic