57675Re: [Authentic_SCA] on white and sweet potatoes

  • Katherine Throckmorton
    Jan 5, 2009
      I've been thinking for awhile about why I object to New World foods at
      feasts. It isn't the fact that they aren't period. Its more the fact that
      it seems that when things like potatoes, tomatoes, chocolate and turkey were
      served, they would have been a novelty. These foods would have been new and
      exotic and serving them at a feast would have made a statement. Serving
      them as a ordinary part of a feast, with no effort to get people to think
      about how 16th century people would have seen these foods has the effect of
      pulling us into the modern world, where a dish of mashed potatoes is
      commonplace.

      -Katherine