57549Fw: "Postcard Virus alert"

  • Michael Strain
    Nov 2, 2008
      MODERATOR NOTE - I checked this out on Snopes.com. It is legit (so I'm going to approve it), however, it is also several years old, which makes me wonder what's up with the sender's IT department. As always, be careful what you open when you receive e-mail.
      For the whole story, go here:
      http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/postcard.asp
      http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/virtualcard.asp

      Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific Time Zone Moderator

      --- On Sat, 10/25/08, Lon Madnight <lonmadnight@...> wrote:
      Just received this from a friend:

      Hello Everyone, this came from our IT guy. Be careful.

      BIG VIRUS COMING!!! PLEASE READ & FORWARD!!!
      http://www.snopes com/computer/ virus/postcard. asp

      Hi All, I checked with Norton Anti-Virus, and they are gearing
      up for this virus! This is the worst virus announced by CNN.
      I checked Snopes (URL above), and it is for real!! Get this
      E-mail message sent around to your contacts ASAP PLEASE FORWARD
      THIS WARNING AMONG FRIENDS, FAMILY AND CONTACTS!

      You should be alert during the next few days. Do not open any
      message with an attachment entitled 'POSTCARD FROM HALLMARK,'
      regardless of who sent it to you. It is a virus which opens A
      POSTCARD IMAGE, which 'burns' the whole hard disc C of your
      computer. This virus will be received from someone who has your
      e-mail address in his/her contact list. This is the reason why
      you need to send this e-mail to all your contacts. It is better
      to receive this message 25 times than to receive the virus and
      open it.

      If you receive a mail called' POSTCARD,' even though sent to you
      by a friend, do not open it! Shut down your computer immediately.

      It has been classified by Microsoft as the most destructive
      virus ever. This virus was discovered by McAfee yesterday, and
      there is no repair yet for this kind of virus. This virus simply
      destroys the Zero Sector of the Hard Disc, where the vital
      information is kept.

      COPY THIS E-MAIL AND SEND IT TO YOUR FRIENDS. REMEMBER: IF YOU
      SEND IT TO THEM, YOU WILL BENEFIT ALL OF US.
      Snopes lists all the names it could come in. As it says on the
      Snopes site, always go directly to the site where the postcard
      is supposed to come from and enter the code. Don't click on the
      link.

      Hello everyone,

      This seemed like something hat should not be ignored therefor .. here it is.

      Mike