57421Re: Pied Piper activities

  • Lilinah
    Sep 3, 2008
      Note that the gingerbread recipe recommended requires NO baking. It
      is primarily bread crumbs, honey, and spices. It will require some
      adult supervision :-)

      Also, Elisabeth said
      >1. You could have them create favors to bestow upon their favorite
      >fighter. Maybe using scuplty and ribbon.

      I assume by "scuplty" that what was actually meant was "Sculpey".
      This is a modern polymer "clay" and requires baking. There are
      several other similar products, such as "Fimo", although "Fimo" needs
      a bit of pre-work to soften it up before little hands can use it.
      Sculpey tends to be softer.

      While polymer clays are fun to use and generally easy to model with,
      the objects made from it must be baked to harden them, and must be
      baked in an oven that is NOT used for food. One could have, for
      example, a dedicated "toaster oven" that is ONLY used for such
      projects. In the context of "Page School" this baking would need to
      be done by an observant adult in a well-ventilated place.

      So ultimately they're not historically accurate (the focus of this
      list), expensive, and probably not so great for the environment.

      I also used a type of modern "clay" that looks like clay (red-brown)
      that air-hardens. A quick web search (using the search parameters
      "air dry" and "modeling clay") turns it up at a number of on-line art
      supply sources. It does take about 24 hours to dry. Apparently some
      also come in white. They are declared to be "non-toxic" but i don't
      really know what they're made of.

      Another useful modeling substance is papier mache/paper-mache. I've
      bought packages of nearly powdered paper, which can be mixed with
      water and flour paste or white glue and then modeled like clay for
      small objects. However Elmer's really is NOT what it used to be (a
      milk by-product) and i don't use it anymore, whereas flour paste is,
      if not SCA-period, at least historical, and safe. And there's always
      the paper-strip type of paper mache over forms, such as balloons. Not
      SCA period, but suitable for little kids.

      An excellent resource is Stefan's Florilegium. There's a whole
      section on children, and several topics look as if they would be
      useful to you
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/CHILDREN/idxchildren.html

      You can also find a few versions of period gingerbread to use with
      your children:
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/gingerbread-msg.html

      Here you will find projects that are closer to "SCA-period".
      --
      Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
      the persona formerly known as Anahita

      My LibraryThing