57226Re: sort of OT: history of horn?

  • borderlands15213
    Jul 26, 2008
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Kareina Talvi Tytär
      <kareina@...> wrote:
      > Yseult the Gentle wrote:
      > >Curious, that you'd think "When did the use of worked horn become
      > >commonplace?" would strain the bounds of SCA period.
      > The part that I thought might be straining the bounds of SCA period
      > was asking if anyone knew if it was done in the Stone Age. While
      > there is no official "start date" in the SCA governing documents, it
      > does mention the Middle Ages and Renaissance as the specific focus of
      > our organization. Some folk choose personas that are classical
      > Roman, but I've yet to meet someone with a Neolithic persona in the SCA.
      > --Kareina
      > http://kareina.livejournal.com/
      Understood and agreed.
      I "got" that you were asking about worked horn in the Neolithic
      period; also "got," because I agree that if we say our purpose is the
      study and recreation of, and our focus is on, the Middle Ages and
      Renaissance then, that even without an "official" start date we have
      rather specified what boundaries are.
      But since worked horn is correct for SCA pseudo-official period, i.e.,
      the Middle Ages and Renaissance, it's reasonable to ask: how old is
      this craft?

      Yseult the Gentle
    • Show all 15 messages in this topic