57224Re: sort of OT: history of horn?

  • borderlands15213
    Jul 25, 2008
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Kareina Talvi Tytär
      <kareina@...> wrote:
      > Hi,
      > This question strains the boundaries of SCA period, and isn't
      > something I'm seriously interested in researching, it is just an idle
      > thought I'd toss out someplace where someone might happen to know the
      > answer off of the top of their heads, and if not, no worries.
      > When did the use of worked horn become commonplace? I've often heard
      > it said that horn was the plastic of the Middle Ages, that it was
      > shaped used for pretty much anything that would be made out of
      > plastic today. How early was this true? Did the Greeks and Romans
      > use it? Earlier cultures? Do we find it in stone-age
      > burials? (This question was prompted when discussing the Clan of
      > the Cave Bear series with a friend and discussing how well researched
      > and to what level of detail on early technology the author goes, but
      > neither of us could recall examples from those books of the use of
      > horn worked into other shapes than that the animal grew for daily
      > tools/accessories. We were wondering if its absence is deliberate on
      > the part of the author because it wasn't used that far back, so far
      > as is known from the archeological record, or if it is known from
      > that far back, but hasn't made the books yet, or perhaps, we just
      > didn't remember that part in amongst all the rest of it. Does
      > horn-work require domesticated beasts, or are horns from wild animals
      > easy enough to obtain to learn how to shape it?)
      > --Kareina, idly curious
      > http://kareina.livejournal.com/

      Curious, that you'd think "When did the use of worked horn become
      commonplace?" would strain the bounds of SCA period.
      I am thinking I can recall seeing, in a book of antiques (or, in this
      case, antiquities) a lidded horn box, and a horn comb, and a horn
      something-else, all pre C.E. Egyptian---I just can't recall at the
      moment how far pre-C.E. They were impressively beautifully done.

      That's a farthing's worth---

      Yseult the Gentle
    • Show all 15 messages in this topic