57111Re: Woodcuts

  • wodeford
    May 2, 2008
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Myers <dobharchu@...> wrote:
      > That's really odd, since the Koreans and Chinese were using
      woodblock printing as early as the 8th century. And it is surprising
      too that the Japanese would not have picked it up given the level of
      influence of Chinese culture in Japan in the Heian era (correct me if
      I'm wrong on that bit).

      Maybe. Japan broke off contact with the mainland at some point around
      that time (or perhaps slightly later - don't have the exact date
      handy at the moment). There's a huge body of Yamato-e painting, but no
      wood block printing - or at least no extant prints I'm aware of -
      until the Edo period. Go figure.

      Saionji no Hanae
      West Kingdom
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic