56956Re: Bookbinder sought.

  • citikas
    Mar 1, 2008
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, julian wilson <smnco37@...> wrote:

      <snip and rearrange>

      > So, does anyone know a Bookbinder who's also an SCA period
      re-enactor?

      Yes, I do. There are a few of us around and one is coming to
      Drachenwald this spring. Randy Asplund
      (http://www.randyasplund.com/current/bkarts.htm) will be attending
      Double Wars and teaching classes. If you can make it to Double Wars,
      I'm sure he'll have good advice for you. I'd gladly take a look at the
      book too.

      > The source is a Hungarian book seller or book collector, I'm not
      sure which, and the facsimile has commentary and a second small book
      of notes in Hungarian. The whole thing is in a little cardboard slip
      case. My wife learned her Prayers and her Bible when the Catholic
      Liturgy was still in Latin, worldwide - so she doesn't want - or need
      - the pages with the Hungarian notes in a modern typeface.
      > Which is why I want the facsimile carfeully dismantled, and ONLY
      the facsimile pages rebound.

      Depending on how the quires are made up (if it has quires), this may
      be somewhat difficult. I'd need to know how the book has been bound
      before saying something definite. For example: When you look at the
      spine from the top, can you see glue? Is the spine flat or does it
      have small scallops? Are the pages individual or folded at the spine?
      When you open the pages, do some spreads have thread in the middle?

      The possibility to rebind this book in an authentic manner depends on
      how it is bound now.

      The best for you is to show your book to a bookbinder, but as you
      said, you don't have a local one. I can take a look at it at any
      Drachenwald event we both attend. Let me know if you wish me to do so.

      > But thanks for your suggestion - I did consider doing what you
      suggest with a leather slip cover - ["RivoAltus" on the Bridge in
      Venice do nice ones to order, and made my wife a replica medieval
      belt-book at 24hrs notice during our last visit, for only 20 Euros] -
      and may well do this as an interim measure to get her through the
      coming Season in ID.

      For the time being, this may be the best course of action. The slip
      cover need not be leather, it can be velvet or silk satin as well. Let
      me see if I can find some examples on the net for you.

      Ah here are some:

      Weyden, Mary Magdalene reading, c. 1445
      http://www.wga.hu/html/w/weyden/rogier/18fracop/1magdale.html

      David, Virgin among Virgins, 1509
      http://www.uvm.edu/%7Ehag/sca/15th/ainsworthgdp75b.jpg

      Madonna with Donor and St Mary Magdalene, c. 1475
      http://www.wga.hu/html/m/master/zunk_fl/15_paint/2/03gudulf.html

      and an extant one, c. 1460
      http://www.kb.nl/galerie/100hoogtepunten/014.html

      Now, it is more common not to have the slip cover or chemise binding,
      but it'll serve you until you can show the book to a bookbinder.

      Be well,

      Anneke Lyffland
      -~*~-
      And taste it, however it seems good to you, make it so. Sabina
      Welserin anno 1553
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic