56786Re: Elizabethan era bedding

  • wodeford
    Jan 5, 2008
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, kittencat3@... wrote:
      > That sounds fascinating! Can you point out any books that describe

      Sorry, I'm about to dash out the door to Twelfth Night and I'll have
      to try to remember which diaries it's mentioned in.

      > Also, how common was yosegire work?

      Pieced garments? It starts with kesa, a sort of shawl worn by Buddhist
      monks. Originally as a sign of their poverty, these were pieced
      together from rags and sewn into a mantle big enough for the mendicant
      to wear. As time went on, these "rags" were often the finery of the
      deceased, donated to the monks. Some kesa of this sort are quite opulent.

      Again, I'll have to get back to you with more, but Seiroku Noma's
      Japanese Costume and Textile Arts has there's a good discussion of
      when and why piecing becomes fashionable in the 16th century. I have a
      few examples on my web page (scroll down, they're toward the bottom):

      Saionji no Hanae
    • Show all 23 messages in this topic