56784Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Elizabethan era bedding

  • kittencat3@aol.com
    Jan 5, 2008
      No down comforters as we know them, although there's the equivalent of a
      bed-in-a-bag (actually, several quilts plus a red cotton travel bag for carrying
      them in for the "The Bedde of Allensown" (bed of Alencon). There were over
      sixty linen quilts, all stuffed with wool, and about thirty silk quilts, all
      stuffed with cotton.

      An essay about the quilts (especially one I believe was originally Catherine
      of Aragon's wedding quilt) will be in the forthcoming volume of Medieval
      Clothing and Textiles, published in April. I just mailed off the galley proofs
      on Monday...:)

      Sarah Davies