56503Re: Origami and Napkin folding

  • olorin1984
    Oct 15, 2007
      MODERATOR NOTE: As a courtesy to our many members who receive this list in digest format, we ask that you do not top post and that you edit anything from the previous message that does not require repetition. Thank you. Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific Time Zone Moderator.

      MESSAGE ORDER REVERSED AND EDITED.

      > I would be interested to hear what you have found about "origami"
      > before 1600. All I have found about paper folding in Japan has to do
      > with either votives for Shinto temples or decorative folds and knots
      > for letters.

      Saionji,
      I actually taught a class a couple of months ago on this subject and
      would be happy to share what I have found. I uploaded the handout
      from my class to the files section of the group as "Period Origami
      Handout.pdf"
      The handout gives a brief overview of some of the models that were
      around pre/around 1600 both in Europe, and in Japan. The handout
      doesn't go into much more detail regarding history, or even the
      origins of the word origami (which is pretty modern I believe), but it
      does have a list of references at the end with some excellent places
      to do further research.
      I would particularly recommend David Lister's esays on the subject.
      He is the historian of the British Origami Society and has written a
      lot on the history of origami.
      You can find his essays here:
      http://www.britishorigami.info/academic/lister/index.htm

      David