56015Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Crochet

  • Chris Laning
    Jun 11, 2007
      Cynthia wrote:
      >Which came first--tambour work or crochet? And
      >how do they relate to needle made embroidery
      >chain stitch?

      To the best of our knowledge, needle-made chain stitch came first; there are Islamic examples from very early centuries AD:
      http://www.bayrose.org/wkneedle/Articles/historical_chain.html

      Tambour seems to have been a 17th-century invention, though I'm not clear on its history, and crochet -- according to the current consensus -- seems to have originated as a sort of "tambour without a background" -- when someone figured out that the chain stitches, suitably arranged, could hold together on their own without cloth.

      The article Sorcha quotes is here:
      http://claning.home.igc.org/articles/crochet.html

      Hope this is helpful! Santina Levey's _Lace: A History_ probably has the best treatment of early crochet I've seen, with Lis Paludan's crochet book a close runner-up. There just isn't a whole lot of information on when and where crochet came from, alas! :(

      (Dame) Christian de Holacombe

      0 Chris Laning
      | <claning@...>
      + Davis, California