55993Re: [Authentic_SCA] Middle Eastern Question

  • Lilinah
    Jun 5, 2007
      Unsigned wrote:
      >You might look at Burnoose. In my research for a play they are a
      >popular alternative to the turban. Though I dont know if they go so
      >far back to 1000 ce.

      Also called selHam in Morocco (i use the capital H to indicate a
      strong H sound). I've found evidence for them in North Africa going
      back to Roman times, but i haven't read about or seen them outside
      North Africa.

      And in art from Central Asia - original home of the Seljuks, this
      gentleman's culture - i've seen no suggestion that a hooded cloak was
      part of the clothing system. Nor have i seen any in any Persian
      culture from Greco-Roman times to the 17th century. What i see over
      and over are front-opening "coats".

      If you have an historical source for Central Asian hooded cloaks,
      please share, because i've got one that would be comfy to wear for
      those times i'm wearing Persian rather than North African clothing at
      events.

      --
      Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
      the persona formerly known as Anahita