55992Re: [Authentic_SCA] Middle Eastern Question

  • Lilinah
    Jun 5, 2007
      Sine wrote:
      >I understand him to be Seljuk........now I'm not actually positive
      >about that, just seem to remember that in conversation, can't
      >contact him until tomorrow to clarify.

      OK, if he's Seljuk, he's Turkish. They conquered a large part of
      Persia, but they are Turkish linguistically, ethnically, and
      culturally.

      In art i see that he would have adapted to wear a turban as royalty,
      but if he's dead set against it, a fur lined had is the next best
      thing (yeah, right, i'm sure he'll love that idea :-) You can fake it
      by making a cap and have the fur on the outside...

      One hat (but it's for mortals less that the "King") is a basic cap
      with a rectangular band around the head and the top made of triangles
      - six would be best, although i've seen simplified versions with only
      four, but c'mon, if he's royalty he deserves the best :-) Make the
      parts of the hat that show of the richest jacquard silk fabric you
      can fine - since it won't use a lot. Then that simple band around the
      head should be of a nice rich dark brown fur - you can make it on the
      outside only so it won't be so hot, with a simple comfy fabric on the
      inside (cotton or linen).

      One feature of royal caps, at least in the Minai style Seljuk art (i
      have a real soft spot for Minai style art) is a sort of triangle
      shape in the center front that sticks up and is gold, at least in
      paintings, and appears to be backed or edged with fur. In reality it
      might have been gold metal, but if you can find gilded leather that
      might be less uncomfortable and quicker to make.

      This web page has some nice Minai style manuscript illuminations,
      although they're a bit fuzzy.
      http://www.geocities.com/egfroth1/Seljuqs.htm

      The large painting about 2/5 of the way down the page with the caption:
      "A Seljuq court, from Kitab al Diryaq (the Book of Antidotes) by
      Pseudo-Gallen, probably from Iraq, mid 13th century. National
      Bibliothek, Vienna." (i figure that should say Pseudo-Galen)
      shows the ruler in very large size almost centered. He's wearing that
      hat i mentioned.

      Granted, this is about 200 years later than you're looking for, but
      clothing for rulers was often more conservative than that for
      ordinary folks, so it may be close to what he could use.

      Those pointed white hats with the brims do not appear to be for
      royalty, and in period it was always important to look the part,
      whatever one's part was. Personal comfort of royalty when out in
      public didn't matter as much as looking impressive, although in
      private i'm sure royalty could be a bit more informal.

      In some versions of the Maqamat of al-Hariri produced in Seljuk
      controlled Syria in a Seljuk influenced style, shows some men with
      head wraps around caps - one in particular looks like a qalansuwa - a
      somewhat tall somewhat pointy hat, generally associated with the
      ruling class.

      In a copy of Kalila wa-Dimna dated to 1220 and produced in Seljuk
      controlled Baghdad all the human men appear to be wearing either
      turbans or head wraps :-( Many of the illustrations from this book,
      Ms. arabe 3465,

      Both books are on-line at the site of the Biblioteque Nationale de France
      http://expositions.bnf.fr/livrarab/
      I seem to recall that the section in English has a lot fewer pieces
      of art than the section in French.

      Another Seljuk book, the story of Warka wa-Gulshah, the tale of two
      lovers (his name is variously Romanized into Warqa and Varka; as for
      her name, "Gul" means "rose"), is also from the early 13th century. I
      can only assume these early 13th C. works were all pre-Mongol
      invasion. Again, nearly all the men are shown wearing turbans or head
      wraps. Most of the illustrations are on-line, scanned from a book
      that reproduced them mostly in black-and-white (alas).
      http://www.geocities.com/qilich/varga/

      There are some color pictures from it at:
      http://www.ee.bilkent.edu.tr/~history/early.html

      And there are some illustrations from the 1300s... some before the
      Mongol invasion and some after here:
      www.ehttp://e.bilkent.edu.tr/~history/pers-II.html
      but this is definitely getting rather late for your gentleman's persona.

      I hope some of this is useful.
      --
      Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
      the persona formerly known as Anahita