55987Re: [Authentic_SCA] Middle Eastern Question

  • Lilinah
    Jun 4, 2007
      Sine wrote:
      > The gentleman I am sewing for doesn't care for
      >turbans

      SCAdians (and other non-Muslims) use the term "turban" far far far
      too loosely. There is a difference between a turban and a head wrap,
      but i hear people over and over call a head wrap a turban.

      A *genuine* turban is a very specific marker of high political or
      religious status "in period". A turban was for royalty, important
      religious figures, etc., and its use is often proscribed by law - the
      method of wrapping denoted the individual's status, was well as the
      type of hat over which the turban was wrapped. So turbans are
      generally inappropriate for SCAdians

      Head wraps, on the other hand, are often quite appropriate for
      SCAdians. Head wraps are a great deal simpler than turbans and are
      relatively common.

      Head wraps are still commonly seen throughout Dar al-Islam. Turbans
      are quite rare. I'm not trying to sell you (or the gentleman) on one,
      just to inform.

      (just as the word "veil" is used for an item of clothing for Muslim
      women and non-Muslim women in the Muslim world in such a way as to be
      almost meaningless)

      >and I have always understood that the Kafeya
      >with cording band seen today is a rather modern type
      >of headwear.

      Acutally, there is evidence for a *pure white* head cloth and a
      *simple* filet (not those big thick black and gold agals i see) at
      least in al-Andalus. I have some pictures on my website... if the
      gentleman is a Maghribi or Andalusi.

      >The climate here in summer is quite hot
      >and he is not comfortable with the turban.

      And i bet he isn't a shah, a sultan, a caliph, or an imam who has
      gone on the hajj... so a turban is likely to be inappropriate,
      although a common and simple head wrap might be appropriate.

      > I am looking around about 1000 ce, and any help
      >or ideas would really be appreciated.

      In fact, what just about anyone - adult, child, male, female - just
      about anyplace could wear is a cap. The style varies from time to
      time and place to place.

      So, where is this gentleman from? I can better suggest a style when i
      know his locale.

      --
      Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
      the persona formerly known as Anahita

      Ride your camel to Dar Anahita
      http://home.earthlink.net/~lilinah
      SCA-period Near and Middle Eastern Costuming,
      including Persian, Ottoman, Maghribi, and Andalusian,
      Medieval Muslim Egyptian knitting, and
      complete menus and period recipes from seven SCA feasts
      (from German to Persian), 23 German mushroom recipes,
      an analysis of the spices used in two different 13th C. Arabic
      language cookbooks, and more Medieval food-related stuff
    • Show all 21 messages in this topic