55827Re: REALLY looooong tippets and kids...

  • xina007eu
    May 2, 2007
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Kim C" <ysabel_delille@...>
      wrote:

      > Sadly, I do not remember the source, so cannot vouch for its
      veracity,
      > but I seem to recall hearing/reading something about little kids
      having
      > extra long tippets (14th century, France/England) so their parents
      > could use them as leashes for going to the market and out and about
      > without losing them in the crowd. From what I remember, also, they
      > would be sort of tied or pinned up in the back when not in use as
      > a "leash". Can anyone substantiate this? Or any other practice at
      the
      > time to keep kids reigned (pun intended) in?
      >
      > ~Ysabel de Lille
      > Getting ready for the camping season with an almost 4-yr old and a
      > recently mobile 1 year old

      Such a "tippet", when attached to the shoulder of a dress, is called
      a "ribbon of childhood" (in German, "Gängelband", a word that is
      still used metaphorically today although most people don't know what
      it originally meant). Often the toddlers also wore a kind of padded
      headband so they didn't hurt their heads when they fell. There are
      some Dutch 17th century paintings where an adult is shown holding a
      toddler by these ribbons. A very cute 18th century porcelain
      representation is here:
      http://www.tafelkultur.de/bamberg8a.jpg

      16th and 17th century tombs on the British Isles often show female
      mourners with what are either hanging sleeves or ribbons of childhood
      knotted or pinned up behind their backs. Unfortunately, one cannot
      always tell whether a specific mourner is supposed to be a woman or a
      small girl - the representations are often very stylized, and they
      all wear the same clothes. They tend to be graded in size, and I
      suppose the smallest ones at the back are usually children.

      There is a kind of "baby walker" in Shakespeare's birthplace, a
      contraption a baby was strapped into and then could walk round and
      round a wooden pillar - it's years since I was there, so I don't
      remember it very clearly, but you might find pictures of it online.
      It might look a bit cruel but IIRC it was in the kitchen and kept the
      baby away from the fire and the sharp knives. I am not sure when it
      dates from.

      Hope that helps!

      Best regards,

      Christina