54931Re: [Authentic_SCA] tudor gown - another question

  • Chris Laning
    Dec 5, 2006
      At 4:54 PM +0000 12/5/06, Cate wrote:
      >Does anyone know whether the gown bodice was attached to the
      >overskirt? It looks like it to me in the pictures, but I'm not certain.

      I think the best answer is "sometimes." If I remember correctly, the
      evidence seems to say that some bodice-skirt combinations were tied
      together with laces (like shoelaces, sort of) while others were
      actually sewn together. I would not be surprised to hear of
      attachment by hooks and eyes, either.

      For practical purposes, since the bodice should overlap and hide the
      skirt waistband anyway, attaching the bodice to the waistband has
      some real advantages. It prevents "dreaded gap-osis" where the
      underlayers show between bodice and skirt when you stretch or raise
      your arms. (They shouldn't show, except at neckline and cuffs --
      shirts were UNDERWEAR <g>). This is a major plus if you don't want to
      be worrying about your clothes while wearing them.

      On the other hand, it's much easier to make each piece separately --
      bodice in one piece, skirt with waistband, and sleeve pieces. It's
      also easier to clean the whole thing if you can take it apart (and
      believe me, I've done it), especially for women's clothes, since the
      skirts have LOTS of yardage in them. My own gowns have usually had
      the pieces made separately, then hand-sewed together with big
      stitches and heavy thread -- it's easy then to take out the stitching
      for washing, and re-do it later.

      O (Lady) Christian de Holacombe , Shire of Windy Meads