53836Re: [Authentic_SCA] Got Scots?

  • Kevin Myers
    Jul 3 4:56 PM
      :) BTW, Got Scots=An ann Albannach?

      --- E S <xxso_glad_for_the_madnessxx@...> wrote:

      > I am most interested in the Scots, so Argyle would be a good place to
      > start or possibly further north. I think it would be before the
      > norwegians showed up. At least for now that's what I'd like to
      > concentrate on. I have been able to find some info on clothing and
      > language, but not much else.

      Alrighty then, the Scots came from Ireland to Southwest "Scotland" in
      the end of the 5th century. They remained culturally "Irish" but after
      a few generations, Pictish name elements started appearing in the names
      of their kings. The 8th century wasn't too kind to the Scots, they got
      bashed about by the Picts on several occasions and eventually came to
      be ruled by them in the late 8th century to early 9th century.

      The 7th century document "Senchus Fer nAlban" is a census of the
      nobility and their military might (See John Bannerman's "Studies in the
      History of Dal Riata"). This document suggests continued legal and
      cultural ties with Ireland at that time.

      So, what may have been is an Irish cultural group with gradually
      increasing Pictish/Strathclyde British and Anglic influence and Pictish
      domination. (But wait...you've heard that a Dal Riatic King united the
      Picts and the Scots in about 842? That's right, after the death of the
      Pictish king Constantine son of Fergus in about 820 there was a
      dynastic struggle in which Kenneth (Cinniod, Cinaet, Cinaed or Kinart)
      macAlpin was victorious--He just happened to be a Scot)

      For purposes of research I'd recommend looking at Irish sources (The
      law tracts are a fantastic source for Irish culture/society and some
      material culture) also look at pictish and strathclyde british . The
      Life of St. Columba by Adomnan; the Book of Deer; the Senchus fer
      nAlban; the Book of Kells are good source material. A Guide to Early
      Irish Law as well as Early Irish Farming by Fergus Kelly are both
      excellent and up to date works. I found the Handbook of the Scottish
      Gaelic World to be very good. Studies in the History of Dal Riada by
      John Bannerman is indispensible. The Early Christian Monuments of
      Scotland details pictish art and stone carvings, fascinating stuff.

      For garb, start with Old Irish and Highland Dress by H.F. McClintock
      and Highland Dress by John Telfer Dunbar.

      For other gear, etc. I've found Archaeology of Late Celtic Britain and
      Ireland by Lloyd Laing to be good--there have since been more finds of
      course. Dunadd: An Early Dalriadic Capital by Alan Lane and Ewan
      Campbell is the publication of the most recent arch. digs that were
      performed at the site in the 80's-90's (?).

      Good overview books: The Picts and the Scots by Lloyd and Jenny Laing;
      Picts, Gaels and Scots by Sally M. Foster; Saints and Sea-Kings by Ewan
      Campbell.

      Linguistic resources--Etymological Dictionary of Scottish-Gaelic by
      Alexander mcBain; A Grammar of Old Irish by Rudolf Thurneysen (you'll
      want Binchy's english translation as the original was written in
      German); and Dwelly's Illustrated Gaelic to English Dictionary.

      There. You have your reading assignments, and the rest of your life to
      study :) Have fun!

      -Cainnech ruadh mcGuairi
      OL

      http://mail.yahoo.com