53772Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Dog Collars and Medieval Buckles

  • Bookwyrm
    Jun 2, 2006
      On 02/06/06, Andrea Hughett <aindreva@...> wrote:
      > In period, one would use a new buckle, not a
      > centuries-old one.

      If not new, at least recent? You're right, of course, that if they
      endlessly recycled buckles, there wouldn't be enough finds for them to
      be affordable. The most affordable artifacts are probably also the
      most disposable. (The same holds true at a garage sale :-)

      > So although a surviving find gets full points for
      > material, style, workmanship, etc, it fails on
      > sturdiness, lack of wear and tear, essentially on age.
      > So which is super-authentic, a surviving find or a new
      > piece of work which copies as much as possible that
      > surviving find (minus the ravages of the centuries)?

      Well, for me, part of the consideration was that metalwork is not one
      of my skills. Buying a buckle is thus my only option. You are, of
      course, correct in implying that a reasonably affluent persona would
      have bought new . . . but this brings one to another issue: If the
      original buckle was forged (as Ercule d'Archambeaux suggested to be
      likely), modern buckles are stamped, and easily available
      reproductions are cast (either from original work or from existing

      Do I need to hunt down a smith?

      > The same question occurred to me while reading an
      > excellent book on medieval furniture which includes
      > sections on how to "age" it. If one is trying to copy
      > an extant piece exactly as it is now, that makes
      > sense. But it is not how the piece would have appeared
      > when it was made.

      Hmm. But if we're doing things for recreational use, they won't GET
      the same level of traffic that they would have gotten, and our
      environments are different. I think my personal preference would be
      to simulate how it would look after a year or two of use, rather than
      centuries or brand new. Realistically, using brand new stuff is going
      to be a fairly rare occurrence in a stuff-poor environment.

      Bookwyrm and Empath
      Ontario, Canada
    • Show all 24 messages in this topic