53769Re: Dog Collars and Medieval Buckles

  • d_archambeaux
    Jun 2, 2006
      --- Bookwyrm <bookwyrm.com@...> wrote:
      > If I wanted to do a super-authentic dog collar (which I do),
      > Obviously, the most authentic medieval buckles would be ones that
      are surviving finds from the middle ages.
      > Would it be safe to trust a pair of small-ish centuries-old
      buckles to
      > continue to hold in use today, or do I go hunting for the best
      > possible reproductions?

      I have made a pair of pulling harnesses for my shepards to draw a
      small wagon, 6 ounce leather well oiled, and padded at the collar.

      For hardware, no don't risk a genuine artifact. I've been collecting
      artifacts, from knives to horse tack, and I'd hate to see a
      surviving piece be subjected to a lunging pulling dog.

      Try to find a modern Feed and Tack store in your area. They'll
      carry a wide variety of hardware for repairing horse saddles and
      harness work. If you've got your medieval design in mind, you'll
      find many odd shaped pieces that can be made to serve and be
      reasonably authentic. For example, I've got a 12th cen. Snaffel Bit.
      It is virtually identical to the modern item.

      If the hardware is strong enough to hold a horse,
      it'll manage any dog.

      > Would those be cast, or forged?

      Forged. for heavy duty items castings would be unlikely.

      > On the last image, you can see what I take to be writing. Would
      >it be > minimally intrusive to use a similar font to write "Service
      Dog" on > the collar in modern English, in order to make the marking

      Any form of marking you deem necessary is going to be acceptable.
      This goes to the medical necessity threads that have been beaten to
      death on the list. If the markings have got to be balze orange
      with refelctive lettering, so be it.

      My dogs in harness, were assumed to be "service animals" at Great
      Western War. It really did suprise me, their harnesses are designed
      for work, and the dogs while behavied enough to go to events, aren't
      nearly well behavied enough to be service animals.

      When marking your collar, keep in mind what can be scratched off
      when the dog decides there is an itch under the new collar.
      Mine removed alot of heraldic painting that I had done on the
      harnesses.

      Good Luck,
      Ercule d'Archambeaux

      Caid