53762Re: [Authentic_SCA] Dog Collars and Medieval Buckles

  • Tiffany Brown
    Jun 1, 2006
      On 6/1/06, Heather Rose Jones <heather.jones@...> wrote:
      > On Jun 1, 2006, at 12:25 AM, Tiffany Brown wrote:
      > > http://www.askaboutireland.ie/show_narrative_page.do?page_id=2858
      > Gorgeous! (And the sort of thing you wouldn't come up with if we
      > didn't have the surviving example.) I'd hesitate to conclude that
      > the original had _no_ closures -- simply that any closures were
      > distinct from this decorative metalwork. The description suggests
      > that it was originally attached to a fabric backing -- to which,
      > presumably, any closure or buckle would have been attached.

      Sorry, I should stop using shorthand. Indeed - no closures remaining
      on the article, likely lost over the years. There is some funny
      shaping at the back, that I expect was part of a closure (could be a
      buckle?), but I doubt we'd be able to tell what kind until we saw an
      example of the kind to compare it to. So no help for solving that

      Also - knowing the 12th C asthetic somewhat, and since this looks like
      the collar of someone with some money - I wouldn't be surprised if
      gems (cheap fake or moderately priced) were sewn to the backing
      material in the gaps. I very much doubt the backing material would be
      the velvet that the article says, as velvets were still pretty rare at
      this stage. Some other cloth (perhaps a silk twill - harder wearing
      and still very oppulent, or something cheaper) or even a woven backing
      (eg tabletweaving) seems more likely, as does a sturdy leather which
      could be further decorated.

      "I'm not obsessed with the 12th Century, honest :-)"
    • Show all 24 messages in this topic