53761Re: [Authentic_SCA] Dog Collars and Medieval Buckles

  • Heather Rose Jones
    Jun 1, 2006
      On Jun 1, 2006, at 12:25 AM, Tiffany Brown wrote:

      > On 6/1/06, Bookwyrm <bookwyrm.com@...> wrote:
      >> If I wanted to do a super-authentic dog collar (which I do), I would
      >> do a ton of research (which I have, and still almost-am, though I'm
      >> out of leads and anything from here on in is serendipity) and try to
      >> match materials as much as possible.
      >
      > Have you seen this?
      > Dog collar (no closures) from 12th C ireland.
      > http://www.askaboutireland.ie/show_narrative_page.do?page_id=2858

      Gorgeous! (And the sort of thing you wouldn't come up with if we
      didn't have the surviving example.) I'd hesitate to conclude that
      the original had _no_ closures -- simply that any closures were
      distinct from this decorative metalwork. The description suggests
      that it was originally attached to a fabric backing -- to which,
      presumably, any closure or buckle would have been attached.

      Tangwystyl

      --
      Heather Rose Jones
      check out the Surviving Garments Database! <http://