53756Dog Collars and Medieval Buckles

  • Bookwyrm
    May 31, 2006
      If I wanted to do a super-authentic dog collar (which I do), I would
      do a ton of research (which I have, and still almost-am, though I'm
      out of leads and anything from here on in is serendipity) and try to
      match materials as much as possible.

      Obviously, the most authentic medieval buckles would be ones that are
      surviving finds from the middle ages. They're not -insanely-
      expensive. The real question in my mind would be one of strength.
      Would it be safe to trust a pair of small-ish centuries-old buckles to
      continue to hold in use today, or do I go hunting for the best
      possible reproductions? Would those be cast, or forged? Okay; maybe
      I need to look harder for the London finds book, since my library
      won't ILL it for me.

      I'm departing from Mistress Alianora Munro's belief that the
      well-depicted unicorn collars would map well to existing dog collars;
      examining the Unicorn Tapestries at the Met's web site, one does not
      see the one-buckle-of-strap-width pattern on any of the dogs, though
      it is on the unicorn.

      At the moment http://tinyurl.com/rbdbg is the closure method I'm
      hoping to try, though some cheaper experiments will be done before I
      go all out :-) Some of the other closures, I cannot fathom at all.

      Speaking of collar issues, leash loops are a quandry.
      http://tinyurl.com/qjtem shows a typical one. Mistress Alianora Munro
      simply uses a standard D-ring, but to me that would stand out worse
      than a zipper on a kirtle! The closest I can find in the modern world
      are certain cabinet and drawer pulls, but they tend to be cast of zinc
      (a relatively weak metal) and coated with whatever they're supposed to
      imitate. Period references seem to refer to the leash loops as
      "swivels", but I am uncertain how they are supposed to swivel. Round
      like the hands of a clock, or flopping side to side so the ring
      doesn't snag on everything they pass? All the pictures seem to show
      them upright in the same position.

      While I'm at it, the same source (Metropolitan Museum of Art's unicorn
      tapestries) has a great depiction of somebody actually attaching a
      line to a collar . . . but the knot is like nothing I can place or
      recreate. http://tinyurl.com/m85gr . Perhaps the artist simply did
      not know whereof she spoke? I know that uncoupling, or releasing the
      hounds to give chase, was a task for a six-year-old boy learning to be
      a dog carer, so the knot can't have been THAT hard to release under
      pressure? Or do the frequent expenditures for couples imply that the
      line was simply cut to release the dogs, letting people worry about
      getting the rope off later? Post-hunt and during-hunt images from the
      Unicorn Tapestries don't show tag ends of rope on the fine collars,
      though . . .

      On the last image, you can see what I take to be writing. Would it be
      minimally intrusive to use a similar font to write "Service Dog" on
      the collar in modern English, in order to make the marking accessible
      to modern peoples without having to produce an illuminated doctor's
      note attesting to the service-dogness of my dog each time? Should the
      reverse of that doctor's note include documentation of certain dogs
      accompanying period people at all times, should any object to the
      introduction of such a modern thing as a service dog in a
      re-creational environment?

      Bookwyrm and Empath, the service dog who will ultimately wear this.
      Ontario, Canada
    • Show all 24 messages in this topic