53674Re: [Authentic_SCA] any one know off the top of their heads?

  • gedney@OPTONLINE.NET
    May 3, 2006
      > Hi,
      >
      > I'll be doing a feast at the end of the month, and a German
      > cookbook from
      > the late 1300's includes rice, which is a nice easy starch. Does
      > anyone
      > know off the top of their heads what form the rice took
      > there/then? Brown? White? Short, long, or medium grain?

      I think that the long grain American Style rices we are familiar with are a
      late hybrid.
      Most authorities on Rice indicate that Europe got the idea form the Romans, who
      seem to have picked up a south Asian cultivar from their conquests of former
      Persia (Persia got it from India).
      This is probably the same medium grain cultivar that is used in Arabic and North
      African (and therefore traditional Spanish) cuisine.

      So, I would go with a medium grain brown or white rice.
      (White would be for the wealthier set, as that takes a bit more processing.)

      Short grain (such as Japonica or Arborio) is also possible, but I would use it
      for mixed dishes where the rice is a thickener, not a main ingredient.

      IMHO, you'd be pretty safe to just stick with medium grain rice, brown or
      white.
      Goya tends to have medium grain rice on sale a lot. and you can get it in
      big bulk bags.

      Capt Elias Gedney
      Dragonship Haven, East
      (Stratford, CT, USA)