53448Re: Need some sewing guidance... turret/pillbox hats and buttons

  • Emmie
    Mar 3, 2006
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "hawkhurstmanor@..."
      <hawkhurstmanor@...> wrote:
      >Do you have any specific questions about the process??

      Elyn,

      Do I ever have questions. You partially answered part of it when
      you discussed the side being longer. I want to make sure I am not
      off base and that I am visualizing this properly. I was having
      issues with just my practice one without scallops. I have been
      working under the assumption that it is a four part item:

      1. 1-3 layers heavy linen as a stiffened lining (period = to
      buckram) for the scalloped sides/ring.

      2. 1-3 layers heavy linen as a stiffened lining (period = to
      buckram) for top circle piece.

      3. Layer linen that covers the "buckram" on the outside of the
      scalloped sides/ring.

      4. Layer linen that covers the "buckram" on the outside of the
      tope circle piece.

      Make the "ring" or sides as if you are constructing a fillet. Sew
      circle onto top just below the creases of the scallops. (I did a
      sketch drawing, because I simply stink at trying to explain how I
      think this is suppose to look.)

      http://elisabethscompendium.org/MannesseCodexTurret.JPG

      The question come in with did you make it wider towards the top or
      the same all the way up like these from the Naumberg Cathedral?
      http://elisabethscompendium.org/1naumb02.jpg
      http://elisabethscompendium.org/1naumb04.jpg

      I was thinking straight... but I was not sure. I am sewing a
      braid/cord along the scallop to get a 3 dimensional look like in the
      codex. Thank you any help or guidance that may be offered.

      YIS,

      Elisabeth Hänsel
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic