53425Re: [Authentic_SCA] Period way to prevent fabric freying?

  • Tiffany Brown
    Feb 28, 2006
      Definately read the article. Assuming you want a certain ammount of
      speed, and mostly to handsew, I can think of a few ways to get a
      fairly good mimic of period seams:
      *machine sew construction seams, and then handsew the edges down (seam
      finishing). This is easier than handsewing the whole garment - the
      part you are handsewing is under less stress (matters less if your
      sewing is poor), and you can make sure the garment fits before doing
      the slower handsewing.
      *What i was introduced to as "french seams" - sew the garment right
      way out (ie wrong sides together- opposite of normal), trim seams to a
      neat ammount (say 3mm-5mm) then turn it inside out (right sides
      together) and carefully sew again, sewing the seam edge into teh bit
      you've jsut sewn. It's not an exact mimic, but it's a lot closer
      looking to period than overlockers (which are very useful too).
      *machine sew a jeans style seam. You might want a very sturdy or
      industrial machine to do this.
      *bind seams with bias binding. I think this seams to have been done
      mostly on trouble (difficult to sew or higher stress), spots in period
      (with straight grain tape, not bais, but it looks fairly similar), so
      you could just use it on tricky spots, or do the whole garment with
      it. You probably want extra wide bias binding, not the standard thin
      stuff. (it does exist)

      Don't be put off trying handsewing, (some find it relaxing, others
      aggrivating) but I'm figuring smaller steps is better. It's a bit
      hard to concentrate on handsewing when you have nothing to wear, and
      it's very disheartening to unpick a garment that you've handsewn for
      hours. I found starting by handsewing first visible hems, then
      flat-felling seams, then completely handsewing a pouch, gave me a few
      nice steps to improve my sewing before embarking on whole garments
      handsewn. (and my second garment took half as long as the first). It
      also helped that I had made a few garments in the style and was
      fairly confident that I wouldn't need to adjust the pattern.

      Also, remember that for overgarments, wool had the advantage of being
      able to be fulled (felted), so that only minimal seam inishing was
      needed. This is certainly one of the advantages of making woolen
      garments, rather than deciding linen would be cooler, or cotton
      cheaper.

      Teffania