53237Re: [Authentic_SCA] Quilting was: Pillow stuffing

  • kittencat3@aol.com
    Feb 2, 2006
      Period quilting was primarily wholecloth, either in linen or silk. There are
      a few references to patchwork (one in a 12th century French poem, La Lai del
      Desire, some "payned quyltes" in Henry VIII's inventory of 1547), but most of
      the surviving references are to wholecloths.

      Here are some pictures of surviving medieval quilts/quilted objects/paintings
      of quilts:

      http://images.vam.ac.uk (enter "tristan" in the search box for pictures of
      the oldest known European bed quilt)

      http://www.bildindex.de/rx/apsisa.dll/registerinhalt?sid=&cnt=&rid=2&aid=*&que
      ry=+xdbpics%3Aalle%20+r1a_name%3A'B*'%20%20+r1a_name%3A%22bermejo,%20bartolome
      %22&no=1&count=50&sort=no&rid=2
      Bartolome Bermejo's 1450 painting of the Death of the Virgin clearly shows a
      silk quilt on the bed.

      http://www.aut.org/SearchProducto?Produnum=27066 (1550 painting by Francesco
      Beccaruzzi showing a tennis player and his pageboy, said tennis player wearing
      a quilted doublet for protection)

      There's also a terrific article on 16th and 17th century silk quilts in the
      December 1997 issue of Antiques: The Magazine, and an even better article on
      the Guicciardini quilts of 1394 in the September 1993 issue of Quilter's
      Newsletter Magazine.

      E-mail me privately at kittencat@... and I'd be happy to send you
      even more information. There's also a Medieval Quilting Yahoo group that I
      moderate that has some terrific pictures and links.

      Hope this helps - and feel free to ask me any questions. I'm more than happy
      to help.

      Mistress Sarah Davies
      East