53224Pillow stuffing

  • Eirene Tzimiskina Kontostephanina
    Feb 1, 2006
      Anyone got an authorative source for what was inside bed pillows in
      the 14th/15th centuries? I've heard buckwheat or millet hulls, but no
      documentation on the assertion however pillows in the illuminations
      *do* look like grain sacks. Would the bolsters be stuffed similarly?

      I've read in various places that quilts might be filled with "flock"
      (cotton wool), and feather beds with - well - feathers, mattresses
      with flock or straw. But nothing on pillows. (Perhaps in Le Menagier?
      But I don't have a complete copy...)

      Caerthe, Outlands
    • Show all 18 messages in this topic