52913on Murri

  • jeffrey.heilveil@ndsu.edu
    Dec 30, 2005
      Murri is a wonderful ingredient. It's rotted barley. Now, before you get
      all down on it, it's "rotted barley" like soy sauce is "rotted soy". They
      are made in a similar fashion. Evidentally, the making of murri is
      somewhat dangerous and fell out of fashion in the latter 15th century. In
      the Annonymous Andalusian Cookbook of the 13th Century (IIRC), there is a
      recipe for Byzantine Murri, which is a murri substitute. The recipe can
      be found in Cariadoc's Miscellany. A cool article on it, and the
      byzantine murri recipe can be found here:
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-CONDIMENTS/murri-msg.text

      One should note the Nigella is NOT poisonous as the poster maintains. I
      happen to have a bunch in my cabinet, have used it often, and we even
      recently had a discussion about it on the list.

      To Coin Charles Oakley
      Have fun. Eat period Stuff.

      Bogdan

      Jeffrey S. Heilveil, Ph.D.