52521Re: Wanted - replica mediæval Chessmen

  • lenastrid
    Nov 19, 2005
      I have never seen any chessmen set except the Lewis one. Perhaps your best bet is to ask
      museums for images of any chessmen they have (dated to the period of your choice), and
      see if there are any bone/woodworker that can make replicas for you.

      But if you do find somewhere that sells medieval replicas, let us know. I'm sure there are
      more than you out there that are interested.

      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, julian wilson <smnco37@y...> wrote:
      > Greetings, good Gentles All,
      > Our Group is in need of a set of replica-mediæval chessmen to use in our displays next
      year. Some of our Companions who haven't yet worked-up little exhibits of their own, do
      play chess. And with Caxton's 1474 translation & printing in English of the "Gayme and
      Playe of Chesse" - [which by all accounts I have read so far, turned into a mediæval "best-
      seller"]; - it would be entirely appropriate for some of our Group to play a game or two of
      chess as a mini-display before the MoP.
      > The problem is that - despite extensive internet researches - and I freely admit I'm
      probably using the wrong " search words" - I cannot find any examples of mediævaL
      period sets apart from the one "everyone" seems to cite - the isle of Lewis chessmen.
      > Surely there must be other surving sets from the mediæval period?
      > And surely, - with so many mediæval re-enactors worldwide - some merchant[s] si/
      are offering other replica sets at prices that won't require we "mortgage our souls" in order
      to acquire such a thing?
      > There are lots of other "in-period" games available, and we've bought-in some of
      those; we've even bought-in replica sets of mediæval playing cards - 4 different designs if
      I recal correctly. But no-one knows how to play the games in the accompanying
      > At least with Chess, a number of Companions already know how to play, - and so all
      we'd need is "in-period" Chessmen.
      > But other mediæval-chessmen replicas than those from the Isle of Lewis "find"? - Zilch
      > If any Listers also know of a modern replica-reprint of the Caxton book - we'd also like
      to have details, so that we can try to obtain a copy, for display. Yes, I know about the
      Project Gutenberg online version - but I'm hoping someone has done a not-to-expensive
      "replica reprint" that won't look too anachronistic, on-show by the Chess players.
      > If Listers can suggest possible sources of supply for either or both items, our
      Companions will be very grateful.
      > Peace be with you All, this Feast of St. Anselm; and God's Benison be upon your Houses
      and your Works now, - and until The Judgement.
      > Yours in service,
      > Julian Wilson,
      > [aka. Messire Matthew Baker/Matthieu Besquer, Governor & Castellan of Jersey,
      1486-1497: - "Si vis pacem, para bellum"]