51402Re: [Authentic_SCA] opinion question on use dates of period recipes

  • jeffrey.heilveil@ndsu.edu
    Aug 1 8:56 AM
      > So, my question - clearly I would not misrepresent them as being
      > anything other than the date they are, but would the cookery minded
      > amongst you feel comfortable using a recipe dated 1688, whatever the
      > ethnicity/culture, etc., if you needed a recipe?

      the short answer is "no, I wouldn't be comfortable." Many of the
      techniques used in cookery changed DRASTICALLY after 1500 (in the more
      "fashionable" areas). As well, that puts you well into contact with new
      world items that while may have been known, wouldn't not have been
      routinely used in cooking.

      Everyone has to make their own decisions with what they are comfortable
      though... I just moved my persona back so I don't have to deal with the
      issue. That being said, it can be VERY hard for some areas to determine
      what to eat, so you have to figure out what works best for you.

      I know we've had the discussion on the list before, but if you do turn to
      archaeology reports, be careful, as many of the papers I have seen make
      some impressive leaps from found ingredients to recipes. Others are spot
      on, but make sure that you don't just take a scolarly paper for granted.

      Bogdan

      Jeffrey S. Heilveil, Ph.D.
      Postdoctoral Fellow
      Department of Biological Sciences