50899Re: [Authentic_SCA] on feast help

  • Adele de Maisieres
    Jul 5, 2005
      bronwynmgn@... wrote:

      >My method for dealing with allergies and vegetarians and food dislikes is
      >all the same:
      >
      >I plan my menus so that no more than 1/3 of the total number of dishes
      >contain the same ingredient.

      I think that's actually good cooking as well as good allergy planning--
      afterall, people don't want to eat fifteen dishes that all taste the same.

      >I find that people in my area very rarely will contact the cook about food
      >allergies or needs - I think I've had two do it over the course of 8 or so
      >feasts I've cooked.

      I absolutely expect people to contact me ahead if they have special food
      needs. If people don't do it, it needs to be added in large letters to
      any feast publicity.

      >I have worked in kitchens where the cook has made special
      >portions for people with allergies and I find it altogether too complicated and
      >time-consuming to do on a regular basis.

      Whether I make anything special depends on what I'm making to begin with
      and what the allergies are. Sometimes it's purely a matter of making up
      an ingredients list and having the servers call the attention of anyone
      with allergies to it-- other times, it's making something extra.
      Somethimes I can kill several birds with one stone by making an extra
      dish that will suit people with more than one allergy or food
      preference. Basically, I try to make sure that no-one gets left out of
      any substantial portion of the meal, _not_ that there are seperate
      portions and alternates for each and every little thing.

      --
      Adele de Maisieres

      Quot homines, tot sententiae.
    • Show all 40 messages in this topic