50513Re: [Authentic_SCA] For all you authentic junky-fighters out there...

  • Lyle H. Gray
    Jun 9, 2005
      On Thu, 9 Jun 2005, Marc Lauterbach wrote:

      > Out of curiosity, how do you feel about applying your
      > fondness for authenticity into the field of martial arts,
      > both in terms of fencing and heavy fighting? While I
      > understand on the surface that this may seem a patently silly
      > question: hitting each other with rattan isn't exactly a
      > period thing to do (yes yes, I know about period tournaments
      > and mock battles, but still...).

      I'm tempted to say that if you really knew about period
      tournaments and mock battles, you wouldn't make that comment,
      since there really are aspects of what we do in tournaments that
      match what they did in tournaments. The main differences for us
      is that we aren't riding horses for most of our tournaments and
      the victory conditions are different.

      > So my question is, how far do you take your authenticity on
      > the field? Do you wear fully period mild steel armour,
      > stainless and/or leather, or modern "sports" armour? I can
      > see the arguements to any and all of these armouring
      > preferences, but I was just wondering what everyone's feel
      > is.

      I wear a combination of mild steel and leather, and the
      appearance of my arm and leg armor matches a depiction from Rene'
      d'Anjou's Book of the Tournament. The body armor is similar to
      the one of the Wisby patterns, the helm is a closed-face barrel
      helm. There are a few added items for safety reasons, but other
      than that, I do make an attempt to appear authentic when in
      armor.

      Lyle

      --
      Lyle H. Gray