50268Re: [Authentic_SCA] The problem with "saffron"

  • Hasoferet@aol.com
    Apr 29 10:06 PM
      In a message dated 4/28/2005 9:45:31 AM Pacific Standard Time,
      jeffrey.heilveil@... writes:

      > If one haunts Asian groceries you can find "spanish saffron" for $3/oz.
      > It is NOT safflower, but is indeed crocus stamens, of the same species as
      > the "true saffron" provider.

      Trader Joe's (a California chain I would probably pine away and wither
      without), sells saffron at about four bucks for a little jar, can't find mine now,
      so not sure of the weight. I don't cook with saffron much, so one of these
      lasts me ages. My old-neighborhood yuppie food mart sold it for about the same
      prices. I recall buying a couple ounces back when I was in grade school for a
      fabric-dying project.

      Raquel

      Raquel