49168Re: Shoes?

  • Marc Carlson
    Jan 31, 2005
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Lady Palatina and Lady Savoury
      <ladyod@g...> wrote:
      > I am in search of shoe patterns today. Specifically, shoe patterns
      > for 16th Century Italian. Anyone know of actual examples? Or
      > better yet, someone who is in the Vancouver area that would make
      > them for me? Payment is not a problem. Finding shoes that would
      > work is a totally different story.

      Italian is one of the harder areas since I don't know of any surviving
      footwear from Italy (aside from chopines that were likely in museums
      or other collections). This is why the Roman footwear we have comes
      from outside the Italian area. I don't recall if Stepping Through
      Time has any Italian shoes or not.

      Your best bet is to take the basic post-medieval "pump" design and
      adapt it to whatever appears in the artwork (see
      http://www.personal.utulsa.edu/~marc-carlson/shoe/SHOES/redbay5.html )

      HOWEVER, since you are wanting 16th century, those will likely be
      lower class shoes from what you are probably wanting to do. Instead
      you are likely wanting to have unturned shoes, and although these are
      not any harder to make, they can be a bit harder to explain (and are
      generally much more expensive). Again, though, your best bet will be
      basic designs from outside the Italian area and adapted to whatever
      image you are trying to reproduce.

      Marc/Diarmaid
    • Show all 14 messages in this topic