48780Re: [Authentic_SCA] Livestock

  • Saerlaith ingen Ruadan
    Jan 3, 2005
      Thanks for the advice. I come from a farm family, dealt with cows & goats as
      a youth on Grandpa's farm & know all about the milking requirements
      involved. The only livestock I actually bought & cared for myself were the
      chickens & pony, but I've spent the past year & a half on my own farm
      researching possible milk/fiber/meat animals.

      I know the realities of pasture management and veterinary risks involved
      with keeping any critter, and that it's not something you run out and pick
      up on errand day.

      Hence my yet further research before committing to the upkeep of another
      beastie. I was hoping someoen out there might have a secret breed of magical
      cow or goat that ate nothing but dandelions and stickers, milked itself,
      rubbed long, soft, clean hair off on convenient fenceposts for me to collect
      when I stepped out to bring in the full fresh milk pail.

      Guess I'm back to the drawing board with earthly four-leggeds 8- ) If I get
      a cow, it will be a Dexter or small/mini Jersey. Maybe Nigerian Dwarf for
      milking goat, and an angora for company. I don't know enough about sheep yet
      to have sussed out a breed, and I'm thinking goats are more my style anyway.
      I actually milked plenty of goats when I was a kid, so maybe I still have a
      knack.

      In the meantime, I'll be lucky to find more than a broke down travel trailer
      in a mudpatch with my housing budget, so I have plenty of hunting to do this
      spring 8- ))

      --Saerlaith