46031RE: medieval window screens

  • Chris Laning
    Jul 4, 2004
      At 11:21 AM -0700 7/4/04, Wanda Pease wrote:
      >I suspect these were winter solutions to the no glass/no light problems
      >since both the German farm house and the English cottage got very warm
      >during the summer and you wanted all the air flow you could get!. However,
      >you have a very good point that solutions did exist!

      Two other factors to consider: human tolerance, and difference in hemispheres.

      Friends of mine have remarked, after visiting England in particular,
      that you don't _need_ window screens over there as much as in the
      U.S. because there are not the constant swarms of biting insects --
      mosquitos, gnats, blackflies, et cetera.The main insect invaders in
      houses, therefore, tend to be house flies and wasps, which are bigger
      and fewer. Remedies like flypaper and keeping food covered do help
      with those.

      (I can also testify from personal experience that biting insects are
      much less of a problem in California than in the Eastern U.S. -- I
      wouldn't dream of trying to sleep outdoors without a mosquito net in
      a Maine summer, but I've never bothered with one out here.)

      Also, when easy remedies for uncomfortable or annoying conditions
      hadn't been invented yet, people may have been more willing to put up
      with them. My mother always hated to be "drafted" as a teenager to
      help her grandmothers with the fruit canning, because there they were
      in the height of summer, voluntarily spending the day in an even
      hotter, and very steamy, kitchen. She says everyone just assumed that
      hot and sticky was how one felt in the summer, and got on with the
      job.
      O (Lady) Christian de Holacombe
      | Chris Laning <claning@...>
      + Shire of Windy Meads - Davis, California