45470Re: some foodly thoughts

  • bogdan_de_la_brasov
    May 28, 2004
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Cornelia" <cgmmuncke@y...> wrote:
      > If you send me the original recipes you have, I can translate them
      > for you. Some old words have to be seen in context to be
      > translatable.... "Melb" is such a word.

      Thank you VERY much for the kind offer. I make it a habit to do my
      own translations when I can. I also have a really nice middlehigh
      german to modern german dictionary (praises to the creator of the used
      book store) that helps.

      > "Rur" means in any case "stir".
      So I used to know it, but couldn't find it when I was looking.
      Thanks. I also have to admit that I shouldn't be translating 2-3
      hours after I'm normally asleep.

      >Moose (mus, no e) can be translated
      > as compote (I believe it has linguistic relations to the
      > english 'mash' or 'mush'). Fruit compotes are usually "mus" in
      > German (Apfelmus, Birnenmus).

      the "e" was there because this document uses an umlaut over the u and
      I haven't the capability on this email client. I have found, however,
      that calling something "blackberry mush" gets one FAR LESS takers than
      calling it almost ANYTHING else. Dunno why the word "mush" scares
      people. I also tend to associate mush with gruel-based recipes, but
      that's just me. The reason I don't use "compote" (which doesn't make
      it right, just my personal reason) is that I've found all muses to
      have been passed through a sieve, while a compote is allowed to have
      large pieces in it (though technically it's then "garbage," but that's
      ANOTHER food name that people avoid for some reason :).

      I can send you the German for the melb thing, but It doesn't make
      sense (in context) to be mehl. I thought of that first, but the step
      prior in the recipe is adding white bread to the ground fruit as a
      thickener. Therefore, having the next step be the addition of a
      secondary thickener would be very out of line with other recipes in
      the German corpus from this time.

      anyway, I gotta get back to some dissertating.

      Thank you SO MUCH for looking into the words though. I greatly
      appreciate it.

      Bogdan

      > Cheers,
      >
      > Cornelia